Fall gardening Prep and Planting
The first day of the Fall Season will be here before we know it. Let's get a jump start on planning our beautiful gardens now!
Tune-In below to the Outdoor Living Hour; Rosie on the House is joined by garden & landscape expert John Jay Harper who guest hosts his segment Notes From The Nursery! Together we discuss #FallSoilPrep & #FallGardenPrep to get you started right this season.
The record monsoon rainfall this year has softened the ground making it easy to start tilling a place for your fall garden. In the below podcast, Jay provides us with:
- A time saving way to prepare your garden soil over 3 weekends for 30 minutes each week
- Seed tips including spacing and a simple way to plant using seed tape
- Root and leaf edibles to plant now and establish a harvest thru spring
- Plus thoughts on lawn transition to fall rye grass
Tried and True Garden Soil Recipe
For every 100 sq ft (10x10)
- 6 bags of 1.5 - 2.0 cubic ft of good quality compost material
- 10lbs of gypsum
- 1-2 lbs of soil sulfur
- Approximately 5lbs of a good quality organic fertilizer; like Hickman's farms choice or you can blend 2-3 lbs of blood meal and 4-5 lbs of bone meal together.
- This should be tilled into about 12" in depth and watered well one time before planting.
- Continue to fertilize with the organic fertilizer of your choice every 30 days or so.
- This process should be repeated every season just prior to planting.
Outdoor Living To-Do | #FallSoilPrep #FallGardenPrep #VegetableGarden