The bathroom is one of the few places in the home where electrical appliances and water have a great chance to meet, and a great chance to cause electrical shock or death.
If you have kids, the bathroom can be a room of hazards, electrical or otherwise, waiting to happen. But it doesn’t have to be. Try these tips to dampen the danger:
- Use only electrical appliances or cords that bear the label of an independent testing laboratory like Underwriters Laboratories.
- Keep hair dryers, space heaters and other electric appliances as far away from the sink, toilet and bathtub as possible.
- Making a storage space under the counter and out of the way for hair dryers, curling irons and other electrical appliances that could be hazardous with water contact. Educate children on the dangers of mixing water and electricity.
- Carefully watching children every minute they are in the tub or shower. If you have toddlers, use toilet seat locks to prevent drowning.
- If the room’s electrical outlets aren’t equipped with ground-fault circuit interrupters, add them now. They’ll help protect you from an electrical shock.