Here are some steps you can take to reduce your monthly bill if you have a backyard water feature:
1. Sign up with your electric utility company for a “time of use” rate plan. You’ll pay a reduced rate for electricity if you run the pump and other appliances, like your dishwasher or washing machine, during hours of the day when demand for electricity isn’t at its peak.
2. People who take advantage of “time-of-use” plans can see up to 7 percent reduction on their electric bills.
3. Run the pump less. It’s not necessary to run it around the clock. Most manufacturers recommend running it between eight and 10 hours a day in the summer and about half that in the winter.
4. Put a timer on the pump so it automatically shuts off after those hours, and set it to run only when you’re paying off-peak rates.
5. Keep your chemicals in balance. If you don’t, your filter can run all day and night and the water will never sparkle.