Pest-control products sold to homeowners are pretty safe, but it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s directions to the letter.
Here are some safety precautions you can take when using pest-control products in and around your home:
- Adhere to the directions on the label. You’ll find instructions not only for how to apply them, but for how to store and dispose of them as well.
- Wear rubber gloves when handling bug sprays.
- Cover your skin and eyes when working with pesticides. Good cover-ups include hats, shoes, socks, long-sleeve shirts, long pants and goggles or safety glasses.
- Don’t smoke or eat around the products.
- Thoroughly wash your hands—and any other part of you that might have come into contact with the chemicals—with soap and water after you’re finished.
- Wash your clothes promptly rather than letting them sit in the laundry basket.
- Store pesticides out of reach of children and pets.