An electric space heater can be just the thing to warm up a particularly cool spot in your home when it’s not quite cold enough to crank up the central heating system.
Wherever you place it, though, use caution. Space heaters are the culprits in around 25 percent of home-heating fires—and 74 percent of them kill someone, says the National Fire Protection Association.
Here are some space-heater safety tips:
- Plug your bathroom space heater into a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
- Don’t hide the electric cord under a rug or carpet. The cord could overheat and cause a fire.
- Leave three feet of space between the heater and furniture and even walls.
- Keep it away from anything flammable.
- Never plug a space heater into an extension cord.