Why Won’t My Smoke Alarm Stop Chirping?
Question: My smoke alarm won’t stop beeping. We have replaced batteries, but they are still going!
1 | Start by twisting it counterclockwise to pop it off, and remove the attachment clip.
2 | Check the test button – the low battery sensor may just be stuck. Hold the button down for 15 seconds.
A few things that can indicate it’s time to replace your smoke alarm:
1 | Smoke alarms are equipped with an internal battery that can fail, while the one you are removing and replacing, is actually a backup battery.
2 | If it is more than 7-8 years old, it has likely reached the end of its life.
3 | There is a very fine air filter in your smoke detector. Here in AZ, the filter can get clogged quicker with the fine dust we deal with and can go out quicker than you may be used to in other states! You can’t replace the filter, so it’s time to replace the detector itself.
- Certified Partner: TEKNA SECURITY & SMARTHOME, LLC
- DIY FAQ: Inspect & Test Home Alarm Systems Regularly
- DIY FAQ: How Can I Prevent Security-System False Alarms?
- DIY FAQ: What Are Some Tips For Buying And Installing Smoke Alarms?
- DIY FAQ: Rosie’s Home Security Consumer Guide
- DIY FAQ: Where Should I Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors?
- DIY FAQ: Deadly Home Invasion: Radon
- DIY FAQ: What You Need To Know About Radon
- External Resource: National Fire Prevention Association